SERVPRO of Ocala Thanksgiving Safety Tips (Prevent Fires!)
SERVPRO of Ocala Thanksgiving safety tips to prevent house fires.
- Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking and use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep the kids away from the cooking area. Enforce a "kid-free zone" and make them stay at least three feet away from the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch fire (pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains) away from the stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen. Contact Ocala Fire Rescue to take training on the proper use of extinguishers.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens and small appliances are turned off.
- Install a smoke alarm near the kitchen, on each level of the home, near sleeping areas and inside and outside bedrooms. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
- Happy Thanksgiving from your friends at SERVPRO of Ocala